Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Isms and OCD

Some people would say I have OCD. Some people would say my Courtneyisms are odd. Some people would just say I am odd. Drew and I were hanging out the other night. I had just gotten home from work. I did a video shoot. The MC of the show I shot had some issues with breathing. Our sound guy never turned down the podium mic, so as the MC was waiting for a speaker to finish, everyone who was plugged into the audio system got to hear the MC's heavy breathing. After 8 hours, the heavy breathing got a tad annoying.
I told Drew this story and then for some odd reason, I confessed to Drew that breathing really bothers me. Not bothers me as in, I hate the fact that I have to breathe multiple times a day, or that I find breathing to be a hard thing to do. More of a I can't stand to be breathing in sync with another person. It bothers me to no end. I hate it. I've been like this for as long as I can remember. When I was little, if I were sitting on my mom or dad's lap, I would make sure my breathing was off from theirs. Breathing in at the same time bothers me more than breathing out at the same time. For some reason, I just can not be on the same breathing pattern as someone else - this only qualifies for people who's breathing can actually hear.

I also HATE mouth breathing. I am 100% a nose breather. Mouth breathing is flat out disgusting. It annoys me to no end. I have no idea why. The sound to me is beyond irritating. I am also not a fan of open mouths. A person sitting there with their mouth open grosses me out. If someone is sitting there, with their mouth open and breathing through the mouth - it annoys me. It's not quite nails on a chalkboard, but it's pretty close.

I'm going to call this the first of my Isms blog. I have many more to share. I'll take it slow and share more later.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! My sister breaths ONLY through her mouth. You would probably attack her if you ever met her. However, it's mainly because the way her jaw is set makes a closed mouth very uncomfortable for her -- this was verified by our orthodontist as being a genetic condition that can't be fixed without major, painful surgery.

    So if you ever meet my sister just don't look at her mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mental health professional probably would have a diagnosis for you. Is it OCD?? Who knows.
    It is safe to say we all have these same weird isms so you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete