Wednesday, January 28, 2009

a few hours with Pedro


My niece Evelyn, who is four, split her forehead open and had to get stitches. Evelyn had to get her stitches taken out yesterday (Tuesday) and my sister needed someone to watch my nephew Peter for a while and then take him to catechism. My sister asked me to help her out. I said I would. I love watching her kids and I was excited to spend some Peter and Auntie one on one time. I haven't had one on one time with Peter since he was 6 months old. I asked my sister if she could promise Peter won't be like he was the first time I sat him, he cried the whole time and wouldn't stop, it scared me off from sitting on the kiddos for a while. Lucky for me, Peter has stopped crying non-stop. As I was driving to my sister's place I was thinking about what Peter and I could do together, I didn't have a lot of time so I had to think small. When I got to Heather's house, the girls were running around trying to get ready. I helped get Lily ready as I got hugs, kisses and I love yous from Evelyn, Mya and Margaret. Peter hugged his sisters good-bye and Heather was off.

Peter stated showing me different things he had built with his Legos and drawings he had been working on (the poor kid really really needs a little brother). I asked Peter if he wanted to play or if wanted to do something with me. He was hesitant to answer and aked me what I wanted to do. I told him I was thinking about taking him out for ice cream. Before I could get the first part of cream out of my mouth, Peter was up and ready to go. We went to Baskin Robbins. I ordered Peter a sundae and it wasn't until he was inhaling it, did I realize I ordered him a large adult sundae. When you're six, and with your Auntie it doesn't matter how big the sundae is. After we ate, we still had time to waste. I took him to Walgreen's. As we were walking around, Peter stopped at a display of seeds. He looked at the pretty pictures of flowers and asked me if we could buy seeds for mommy for her birthday (Heather's birthday is February 13)
Peter picked out some seeds for Heather and asked me if we could wrap the seeds with a card and give his mommy an early birthday present. Of course I had to say yes. After we picked out the seeds, I had Peter pick out a card and a gift bag.

We had to get going to catechism and Peter was so concerned about being late (apparently my sister has trouble getting the kids ready and to places on time and Peter knows that) I take him to class, after we got lost a bit, I found where he needed to go. I was helping him take his coat off and get his stuff together. I got this feeling of sadness as I realised my little 6 month old non-stop crying nephew was 6 years old, in class and not really needing me there to watch him. I can't believe sometimes how much he has grown and how mature he is. He is always going to be my little Peter Pie (I don't think he knows that yet). I feel such a connection with Peter, I don't know if it's because he's the oldest or the only boy, but the connection is there. I love being an Aunt so much. It's the best job in the world

No comments:

Post a Comment